Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Thankful for a broken arm!


Olivia's beautiful cast.

Dr Cooper setting the cast.

She is a trooper! This contraption is to try to straighten the broken bones out as much as possible, so Dr. Copper could put the broken bones back in place before he molded the cast to her wrist.
She broke both wrist bones. The doctor said "You did a doozy"!



Xrays show "Closed Fracture of Lower End of Radius with Ulna" and the other fracture is "Fracture of Distal End of Radius and Ulna"
My terms "Full broke wrist"


Let me take a minute and tell you about how this happened and her being a testimony to the doctors and staff at Mercy Hospital. This might be a little long and I apologize for those who enjoy short stories but stay with me, this will bless you!
She was riding her scooter outside with friends. She lost her balance and went crashing onto the sidewalk. She reached out her right arm to catch herself, when it snapped her wrist into. Pretty standard! Her friend came to the door and rang the doorbell and said "Mrs. Patrick, would you please come, Olivia is hurt really bad." Believe it or not I didn't panic. God was all ready working His peace in both me and Olivia. She wasn't crying either. She was laying down on the sidewalk like she was dead... but she calmly stated as I walked up to her. Mom, I broke my arm." I squatted beside her and said "yes, Ma'am you did! I was trying to figure out how to get her up to the car without moving her arm. That's when God sent an angel... This lady came over to help. She did everything fast and perfectly. She wrapped Olivia's arm up and tied it as a sling around her neck. Ally ran in to get ice and shoes. I grabbed my purse and we were off to the hospital.
We got to the hospital, they immediatley took her back to a room. She had and x-ray within 10 minutes of being there and had an IV inserted to start her Morphine. Still, she wasn't crying. Not one complaint came out of her mouth. I told her as we were sitting there "Olivia, God knew you were going to break your arm this morning when you got up to get ready for school. He knew last week when you would go through this." Her reply was "Thank you God for sparing my legs." What kind of child thanks God and doesn't say..." Then why did He allow this to happen?"No, She thanked Him! Some of us adults need to learn thankfulness in times of storms.
She was the talk of the ER. A lot of the nurses wanted to know this brave little girl that hasn't shedding a tear from breaking her wrist, having an IV inserted, a doctor inserting a large needle into her broken bone then pulling the fire out of her broken wrist. We had over 5 nurses that wanted to meet her. Dr Cooper (orthopeadic) said "It's never this quiet in here. This is not normal. You could have dropped a pin. Usually kids and adults are screaming while he is pulling their broken bones! I would've been!
My praise goes to God...No matter the trials you put in my life...I will love you and Faithfully follow you all of my life. You are my Savior, My God, My Redeemer. My All in All! I thank you for your peace that surpasses all understanding.

1 comment:

  1. Aww bless her heart! Olivia is a strong and sweet little girl! How great that she was thanking God!

    ReplyDelete