Monday, March 2, 2009

Gifted and Talented!

All of the kids in school take standarized tests. The score results of these tests are tallied and complied on a spreadsheet. Scores that exceed the screening guidelines for Gifted and Talented children also known as "TREC" (Think, Research, Explore, Create) are highlighted and a conference is held with the child's teacher to receive further input about the student, including teacher's observations regarding emotional maturity and responsibility. Well, I received a letter today from the "Gifted and Talented staff with the Board of Education". Ally is in 1st grade. She has been recognized as a gifted and talented learner. I always knew and expressed that Ally was a gifted child. She learned fractions at the age of five with ease. Also in kindergarten on the AR Reading (Accelerated reader) she recieved 140% on her reading in the 1st semester! She has always pronunciated all of her words precise and corrects all of us when we are wrong. She uses large words that I don't even know the meaning of. She will probably correct me now for using a preposition at the end of a sentence. yes, she reads my posts, she is my little editor!

Let me tell you a little more about the "TREC" (Think, Research, Explore, Create) program. Ally will be given a battery of tests which include... Acheivement, Perceptive Reasoning, Creativity, and Intelligence. Once we receive those scores "TREC" will place her according to her knowledge of those tests. We (all of our family) always knew Ally was beyond her peers in learning. Heck, she's beyond us sometimes!  She would come home from school and tell me. "School is easy. I all ready know all of that stuff. Why do I have to go to school? " I knew she was gifted and wanted the school to see her potential and giftedness. 
Thank you Lord, for your never ending blessings. You created her long before I knew she was in my womb, to be the gifted child she is today. My prayer is that she will continue to grow in your knowledge. That you would lead and guide her in your footsteps to do the plan you have laid out for her. That she would realize early that you created her giftedness. I pray she will honor you and give you the glory daily for this blessing. 

1 comment:

  1. we are so proud of our gifted and way too smart grand daughter.I love you. Nana

    ReplyDelete